Sunday, September 3, 2006

James Otis



Colonial lawyer, educated at Harvard, defender of colonoist's natural rights.
Born in West Barnstable on Cape Cod February 5, 1725.
Died in Andover, May 23, 1783 after being struck by lightning.

An early advocate of the political views that led to the American Revolution.

John Adams said “I have been young and now I am old, and I solemnly say I have never known a man whose love of country was more ardent or sincere, never one who suffered so much, never one whose service for any 10 years of his life were so important and essential to the cause of his country as those of Mr. Otis from 1760 to 1770.”

James Otis was a volunteer at the Battle of Bunker Hill, June, 1775.

Otis favored extending the basic natural law freedoms of life, liberty and property to African-Americans.

Famous Quotes:
"A man's house is his castle;"
"Taxation without representation is tyranny."
"I do not say that, when brought to the test, I shall be invincible."
"If we are not represented, we are slaves."
"Let the consequences be what they will, I am determined to proceed. "

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me the love. Serious, even disagreeable comments are not moderated.