Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Kitchen Doors

Three years ago, in an expression of largesse, we bought a new refrigerator, new clothes washer and new clothes dryer. Our kitchen has customer made cabinets and I was aware that the opening height for the refrigerator was limited.
For this reason we bought the shortest fridge in the stale my wife and I liked. Naturally, the damned thing would not fit. I took me 2 days to disassemble the cabinet from the wall, then a couple of weeks to modify the cabinet opening.
The problem created from the opening change was that the cabinet doors in that location were not 3 inches too long.
Over the last three years we spoke with three or four different men about either modifying the existing doors or making new complete.
The second to the last offered to either shorten the two doors or modify the cover molding above to make room, for $400.00. I would have paid the money, but he was trying to push us to bastardization, and I just could not get my arms around it.
Two months ago my manager at work, told me about one of his church friends that did cabinet work, a retired teacher.
I brought the two cabinet doors in to work, gave them to the boss for transfer and with a leap of faith, viola, two doors matched in color to the existing and pleased the bride. This from a man that I have yet to meet, for only $200.00. I will provide contact information to anyone who asks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me the love. Serious, even disagreeable comments are not moderated.