Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Take Me In Your Arms

A few weeks ago, I was riding in the car and absentmindedly, recognized lyrics to a song without ever having heard the version.

The Doobie Brothers it turned out were doing a cover of a Motown song written by Holland-Dozier-Holland. I think I like the Doobies version better but the contrast is interesting.

Wikipedia has a quote from Jeff Baxter
"That song was like a dream come true for us. Every musician I've ever known has at some point wanted to achieve Motown's technically slick soul sound - it's so dynamic. We sat down to try to duplicate it, and to see if our version could emerge as a successful single."
When I saw the Doobie Brothers in the 1976 Black Water tour, Baxter never got out of his chair while he played.
Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me the love. Serious, even disagreeable comments are not moderated.