Friday, June 23, 2017

Rocket Scientist

I've known one real rocket scientist in my life, he is passed on now, but would have probably enjoyed a laugh over this while drinking a tall German beer.
The previous post led me to a new article that describes how Trayvon Martin's parents were presented with an honorary degree, a bachelor's degree in aeronautical science, by Florida Memorial University.
I am a engineer with a bachelor's degree, and have been working hard for a long career at my craft. Engineering schools are very hard on their students I've known, aeronautical course work is rigorous. The presumption based on Trayvon's love for airplanes could be extrapolated to a degree in aeronautics causes me to doubt the intelligence of the school officials making the award. 
Here are some links to stories in Florida press
and
By awarding an honorary degree to the family of a deceased young man that attacked a man while under the influence, Florida Memorial University belittles the value of the degrees earned be actual students.
I do, while saying that, understand that this is a gesture of condolence to the family.
The reader comments comments on linked news sites lack sensitivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me the love. Serious, even disagreeable comments are not moderated.