Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Because He Supports Me

The Wall Street Journal posted an opinion written by James Taranto, discussing the statements of former Senator of Nebraska and current President of the University of Florida at Gainesville, Ben Sasse.  

Sasse and the Unwoke

When asked if cries for the genocide of Jews would violate UF's policies bullying and harassment policy?  Something that the leaders of M-eye-T, Hah-vud and Pen-E trouble with. Mr. Sasse was direct to the point.

“Yes”

The discussion drifted to the presidential race and President Trump.  Sasse, as Nebraska's Senator and avowed Libertarian, was often critical of the Republican President. He did on most instances vote with the president but as an ideological foe, was therefore a darling of mainstream media.

I heard this on the radio, so I will have to paraphrase, I did search the internet and had trouble finding the text to which I am referring.  

I have not always supported the President, but he has always supported me.

Not my words but captures my feelings very well.  I voted for other candidates in the last two of state primaries, but did vote for Trump in both national elections.   In the first national, he got my vote with a held nose, in the second with eagerness  In the third he will get my vote in both the primary and the national. 

This article seems to include the original phrasing.

“I’m gonna flip it on you and say he supported my policies.” 

Now the paraphrase and the actual quotation are not exactly the same, but close enough. Close enough to explain why it was so difficult to locate with common search engines.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me the love. Serious, even disagreeable comments are not moderated.