Friday, March 6, 2009

The Best Conservative Movies

In the February 23rd issue of National Review, John Miller offers his list of best conservative movies.
  1. The Lives of Others (2007)
  2. The Incredibles (2004)
  3. Metropolitan (1990)
  4. Forrest Gump (1994)
  5. 300 (2007)
Since the magazine, in my eyes, is like the word of god, and that and two of the movies are already in my own top 5 favorites, the number 1 movie is now on my "must see" list.
Number 3 on the list is easily my favorite dialog based movie. Whit Stillman outdoing the master Woody Allen at constructing intellectual discussions drug into comedic situations by human imperfection. One of the first dates my wife and I went on was to see Barcelona, Stillman's second feature. She thought I was nuts for dragging her to such an unheard-of film but the smart humorous content was there and she enjoyed. T his movie should also be on the list of best conservative minded movies, but I suspect that the author was trying to show some range.
Forrest Gump is, well, a surprise to the list for me, but the explanation brings it into a perspective with which I agree. Reviewer Charlotte Hays says....

Tom Hanks plays the title character, an amiable dunce who is far to smart to embrace the lethal values of the 1960s. The love of his life, wonderfully played by Robin Wright Penn, choose a different path; she becomes a drug-addled hippie, with disastrous results. Forrest's IQ may be room temperature, but he serves as an unexpected font of wisdom. Put 'em on a Whitman's Sampler, but Mama Gumps's famous words about life's being like a box of chocolates ring true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me the love. Serious, even disagreeable comments are not moderated.