Monday, September 22, 2008

Today 1776

On September 22, 1776, 232 years ago, Nathan Hale was hanged as a spy by the British in Manhattan near 66th and Third.

I only regret that I have but one life to give my country.

An oberserver of the hanging, British officer Frederick MacKensie, made this diary entry for the day:

He behaved with great composure and resolution, saying he thought it the duty of every good Officer, to obey any orders given him by his Commander-in-Chief; and desired the Spectators to be at all times prepared to meet death in whatever shape it might appear.

As a boy, the site where Hale taught at was about a mile away from our house. A local hereo of whom we are very proud. Today a leading dimocratic candidate might say....

I regret that you have only 47.9% of your income to give to your country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me the love. Serious, even disagreeable comments are not moderated.