Monday, September 9, 2013

Senate S744

The letter received from Senator Chamblis was similar, saying it is important to have free discourse but in the end I voted against this bill. The bill passed regardless, proof that the majoritiy of Senators feel it is better to appear active and involved that to stand on principle. While sure that my Senators are little different, at least in this case that had enough political coverage to allow them to vote the way their constituents expect. The recurring theme of Senatorial superiority over the wishes of their people is a direct result of the 17th Ammendment, installed by way of a dishonest sales pitch, owing to the extra-progressive design of President Wilson.

Dear Mr. #######:

Thank you for contacting my office regarding immigration. I appreciate hearing from you and appreciate the opportunity to respond.

On June 11, 2013, the Senate voted to invoke cloture on the motion to proceed to S.744, the Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act, by a vote of 82 to 15. On the same day, the Senate voted 84 to 15 to proceed to the bill. I voted in favor of both procedural motions because I believe that immigration is an important issue that deserves to be debated on the Senate floor. I am a strong supporter of the First Amendment, and I believe that if you stifle speech then you will never get results.
On June 27, 2013, the Senate voted on final passage of S.744. While the legislation was an improvement over the unsuccessful immigration bill of 2007, I voted against S.744 because it failed to truly solve the many issues plaguing our nation's outdated immigration system. S.744 passed the Senate by a vote of 68-32.
My top priority for immigration reform has always been that we must truly secure our borders first and foremost. I support a border security plan to combat illegal immigration, drug and alien smuggling and violent activity on the Southwest border. During the debate on S.744, I co-sponsored a border security amendment offered by Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) that called for the Department of Homeland Security to achieve 100 percent situational awareness, required full operational control of the border, required a nationwide E-verify system, and called for a biometric entry/exit system at all air and sea ports of entry. Each of these requirements would have to be met before unlawful residents would be eligible for any type of legal status. I do not believe in any special pathway to citizenship for individuals who are here illegally. I believe that all immigrants should pursue citizenship by getting in line and complying with the same rules that are already in place. I have always drawn a clear distinction between legal and illegal immigration, and anyone who comes to our country legally should be welcomed to share in the pursuit of the American dream. At the same time, the defense of our nation begins with securing our borders and ending the opportunity for illegal entry. Our immigration laws must be followed and they must be enforced, and I stand in full support of those who do both.

I have been working hard to address one of the most important domestic issues in the United States. I will continue my efforts because I believe it is absolutely critical to our state and to this nation that we secure the borders, enforce our immigration laws, and restore credibility to our immigration system.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please visit my webpage at http://isakson.senate.gov for more information on the issues important to you and to sign up for my e-newsletter.

Sincerely,
Johnny Isakson
United States Senator

For future correspondence with my office, please visit my web site at http://isakson.senate.gov/contact.cfm. You can also click here to sign up for the eNewsletter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me the love. Serious, even disagreeable comments are not moderated.