Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Presumed Thought

A niece recently unfriended my wife and I for arguing the appropriateness of protester behavior devolving into destructive chaos.
For years our children have been encouraged to focus on their feelings of worth and importance. For years our children have been taught that the world is obliged to accept their inexperienced views as gospel. The result of this teaching, is the creation of a generation of ignorant, self-indulgent spoiled brats.

The Corporate Thought Police
"The idea that free speech is not a fundamental liberty that must be defended at all costs runs deep in Sweden."
I find myself withdrawing from arguing with my friends on these topics, they are first and foremost my friends, and by withdrawal, I am sparing them angst.
In America, today, we see that Orange County California is contemplating changing the name of their airport, removing the name of John Wayne. The cause is statements made in an interview John Wayne had with Playboy magazine in 1971. Orange County can do what it wants, they renamed the airport 40+ years ago and they can do it again if they want. Those politicians who make the decision, will face their referendum at the voting booth. Something I suspect for most residents of county is not a big deal. As to the statements by John Wayne, I would suggest that we've far too many citizens with tin ears, these comments were unfortunate but not said to be hurtful.
Here in Atlanta, the airport name used to be Hartsfield International Airport, that was changed to Jackson-Hartsfield International Airport. At the time, I knew many folks who were upset with the change, to which I would suggest that in 50 years, the name could be changed to something like Gomez-Jackson-Hartsfield International Airport. The dominant demographic gets to make the choices.
I have said things in my life that are regrettable, usually to people that I loved. Many of those same people, have made awful comments to me. As a youngster, I was teased, unmercifully, for having buck teeth.  The point is that with age, experience and religion, you get over it, learn that we should not judge a person by a single utterance, but by the balance of their life accomplishments and failures.
When people seek to restrict speech and opinion, it is evidence of both a need to control, and failure to convince by reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me the love. Serious, even disagreeable comments are not moderated.