Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A Georgia Tech Icon

Two weeks ago the man that could have thrown me out of college, passed away. James Edward Dull, known to students at Georgia Tech for over 34 years, better known as Dean Dull died on 22-March-09 at the age of 80.
  • Our first encounter was during my freshman year, in my alcohol dazed mind, and with the encouragement of others of like infirmity, saw fit to set off fireworks in my dormitory room, that after damming the communal shower room door and creating a pool for floating inner tubes. My student ID was revoked, and to get it back I had to visit the office of the feared Dean. The result was me being a scolded, and instructed not to do that again.

  • Our second encounter was at my fraternity house. Dean Dull visited our house from time to time because one of my frat brother’s father and he had served together at Tech as assistants to then Dean Griffin. Upon inspection of my room, he proclaimed it to be “a free-form laundry bag” and walked off laughing.

During his time at Georgia Tech, enrollment grew from 5,200 to 13,000, female enrollment grew by 27,000% (11 to 3050). His greatest success will continue to please alumni, students and children alike, Dean Dull arranged the purchase of the Model A which serves as the 'Wreck', leading football teams onto Grant Field.
Thank you Dean Dull, for your service in the Korean War and to generation of Tech students.
Best wishes to your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me the love. Serious, even disagreeable comments are not moderated.