Thursday, January 13, 2011

Low Sodium Streets

On day four of the Atlanta ice storm, I make my way to eat lunch at the local Arby's. When many businesses are closed you can't be too selective.
After sliding down a section of ice covered road I come into the parking lot to see two Cobb County DOT trucks. One of the trucks is a stake body with many yellow bags of salt for spreading on the road, the other is a long bed pickup with a spreader on the tail end. No person is in either truck.

Going inside I see 5 Cobb DOT employees sunning themselves leisurely in the window, lunch was eaten (it was 12:10) and they were relaxing, almost tranquil.

Not one of the workers showed evidence of having exerted during the day, no sweat stains, no dirty clothes, no wet clothes.  Horsing around those bags of salt is a dirty disgusting job.

After about ten minutes of sitting near the group, without a sound they all got up and meandered out the door.  One truck went one direction, the pickup with the spreader went up the hill I just slid down, without the spreader on.

In my southeastern section of Cobb County the road condition has gone, for the most part, untended. Now I see why, the lazy bastards are willing to wait on the weather to turn, rather than work for the over-time rates they are being paid.  Accidents are happening on shady side streets while Nero fiddles.  Our tax dollars at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me the love. Serious, even disagreeable comments are not moderated.