Thursday, January 6, 2011

What They Promise

Every two years, like clockwork, freshly elected and re-elected representatives repeat an oath from Article VI, clause 3 of the Constitution.
"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."
You have to wonder what the likes of Pelosi, Leahy, Clyburn and Reid are thinking during this utterance. They have to say the words but in the conscious belief that the Constitution is elastic, must be the realization that they don't feel bound by the constraints set within. Put as respectfully as possible, many of these politicians have made clear that they guided only by the "need" of constituents, while actually motivated to action by the desire to increase power and remain employed. Effectively, they are lying, by promising to adhere to the Constitution, while aware of the paths built to circumvent same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me the love. Serious, even disagreeable comments are not moderated.