Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas Pecans

PEAcans or peCaans, I've heard southerners say that both pronounciations are the true way. In my mind peaCaan is more fun to say, so that's the way I do it.
When my son was about 6 or 7, I wanted him to be involved in Chrstmas gifting in a more personal way that writing his name on a tag. Every year we made these together. When he went to college people started asking me where the damned nuts were.
Congress of course.
No, here is what I make every year, directions are in my regular batch size. These days I am making about 15 pounds a year.

Ingredients
  • 3 pounds shelled pecan halves
  • 3 egg whites (or 9 tablespoons egg white mix)
  • 3 tablespoons cold water
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoons salt
  • 2-1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
Directions
  1. Get three cookie sheets.
  2. Heat oven to 275 degrees F.
  3. Mix sugar, salt and cinnamon.
  4. Separately mix the egg whites and water, whisk until frothy.
  5. Pour the pecans over the egg-water mixture, stir until all the nuts are wet.
  6. Pour the sugar-salt-cinnamon mixture over the wet nuts, stir until evenly coated.
  7. Spread the nuts on cookie sheets.
  8. Place in oven and bake for 17 minutes.
  9. Remove from oven, stir and spread, replace to oven and bake for 17 minutes.
  10. Remove from oven, stir and spread, replace to oven and bake for 17 minutes.
  11. Remove from oven, stir and spread, replace to oven and bake for 17 minutes.
  12. Remove from oven, cool, eat.
This is my adaptation of other recipes, some call for 15 minute cook cycles, some call for 225 degrees F, but I like the nuts a little more crisp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me the love. Serious, even disagreeable comments are not moderated.