Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Chambliss Responding to my message

He's one of the good guys on many of my pet peeves, but can't really tell where he's headed here.  My guess is the other way.


Dear XXX:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 915, the "FAA Reauthorization Act of 2009," and the Express Carrier Employee Protection provision.  It is good to hear from you.

In 1996, a provision in the FAA Reauthorization bill that became law permitted delivery companies that were "express carriers" to be covered under the Railway Labor Act (RLA).  Express carriers were defined as companies that have an integrated network of air and surface transportation for express shipment packages.  Such companies that are classified as express carriers are covered under the RLA and not the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), which other package delivery companies fall under. 

The proposed Express Carrier Employee Protection provision would remove such express carriers from being governed by the RLA.  It would enable certain employees of these aforementioned express carriers to organize under the NLRA.  Should this legislation come before the Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

If you would like to receive timely email alerts regarding the latest congressional actions and my weekly e-newsletter, please sign up via my web site at: http://www.chambliss.senate.gov/. Please let me know whenever I may be of assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me the love. Serious, even disagreeable comments are not moderated.